Archive by Author

This Saturday December 6th join Santa for breakfast at the Wilton Fire Department!

1 Dec

The Wilton Fire Department Auxiliary is hosting breakfast with Santa this Saturday December 6th from 8 AM – 10 AM at the Wilton Firehouse on 270 Ballard Road. The menu is pancakes, french toast, scrambled eggs, sausages, donuts, juice, coffee, and hot chocolate!
Santa will be there so don’t forget to bring your camera!
Donations Appreciated

We are proud to have helped support this years Toys for Tots

1 Dec

SARATOGA SPRINGS N.Y. — More than 150 trucks took part in a Toys for Tots convoy in Saratoga Springs Sunday.

The convoy was a new effort that encourages the community to help less fortunate children this holiday season. Trucks and emergency vehicles drove through the city of Saratoga Springs to encourage toy donations for distribution in December.

“We asked people to bring one new toy, well there’s people here with boxes of toys,” said Ryan Lorey of Capital Region Toys for Tots.

Capital Region Toys for Tots teamed up with the Saratoga County Sheriff’s office to spread cheer, and help non-profit groups in the area in need of toys.

“It’s just a way for us to give back to the community and raise awareness,” said lead convoy driver Jason Vosburgh.

This year, the need for toys was crucial.

“We were falling short earlier in the season, we didn’t quite have enough toys,” Lorey added.

“We need to collect 200,000 toys, and have 27 days to do it — and we can’t do it without the community,” said Toys for Tots coordinator Gunnery Sergeant Albert Roman, Jr.

Falling behind on the quantity of toys is how Capital Region Toys for Tots organizers came up with idea of a toy convoy.

The convoy departed from the Saratoga Springs Walmart, and traveled 11 miles through the city to its destination at the sheriff’s office.

Once arriving at the sheriff’s office, the community filled the trucks with even more toys.

“We love to see the kids, we love to pass out the toys,” Lorey concluded.

Capital Region Toys for Tots will be distributing the toys to children in late December.

Fire training an eye-opener for elected officials

26 Oct

J.S.CARRAS - JCARRAS@DIGITALFIRSTMEDIA.COM Galway and Wilton firefighters battle a simulated car fire during Saratoga County Fire 101 presentation, a familiarization of the fire service hosted by Saratoga County fire representatives Saturday, October 25, 2014 at the Saratoga County Fire Training Center, in Ballston Spa, N.Y..

BALLSTON SPA >> Firefighters are faced with potentially life-and-death decisions each time they answer a call.

When the heat is on, there’s no time to think – preparation, experience and training are critical to saving lives and staying safe in the process.

Elected officials got a first-hand look at the many types of incidents firefighters respond to during a multi-agency exercise at Saratoga County’s Byron J. Baker Fire Training Center in Ballston Spa Saturday.

“It’s an eye-opener for the folks that fund us; the dedication, equipment and resources involved,” said Peter Shaw, assistant Saratoga Springs fire chief. “Just when you think you’ve seen it all, something else will pop up. It’s not just fires now. If somebody doesn’t know who else to call they call the fire department. It could be hazmat (hazardous materials), wires down or a pump-out when there’s a flood. We have to be the jack of all trades.”

About 100 personnel, seasoned firefighters and trainees alike, representing nearly a dozen paid and volunteer departments, from South Glens Falls to Waterford, took part.

The activity was specifically designed to let public officials see how tax dollars are spent on training. and marked the first time they’ve been invited to such an event. Leaders at all levels turned out – several county supervisors and town board members along with Ballston Spa Mayor John Romano and state Sen. Kathleen Marchione, R-Halfmoon.

Halfmoon Supervisor Kevin Tollisen said, “This gives us an actual hands-on view of what they do every day for our county.”

The training center is used several times per week, not just by local fire companies, but some from neighboring counties such as Warren, Washington and Rensselear, too.

The facility prepares firefighters for all kinds of situations. A multi-story live burn building was installed several years ago to give personnel experience with structure fires. When responding, firefighters don’t just try to extinguish a blaze. Many things are involved, such as ventilation and search-and rescue that require teamwork.

“All these functions have to be coordinated,” said Ed Tremblay, Saratoga County fire coordinator.

The burn building cost $875,000. But it’s price is invaluable considering the lives that might be saved through proper training.

The center also teaches firefighters how to respond to vehicle fires and extrications in addition to railroad tank car fires. Saturday’s participants even learned how to drive large emergency vehicles.

The event was hosted by the Saratoga County Fire Advisory Protection Board, comprised of representatives from each town and city in the county. The board meets monthly to ensure that all fire companies are following the same standardized incident and mutual aid procedures.

This way, firefighters from different agencies – sometimes complete strangers – know how to work together when responding to a serious call.

“We showed how valuable that live fire training is,” said board Chairman Bob Palmieri, of Mechanicville. “It’s important to feel the heat and smell the smoke before you have to do it for real.”

1st Place at Hemmings Car Show!!

29 Sep

photo 2

chubb_logoconcours_logo_gold  SAM_logo_green

Fire destroys Gansevoort home; Three pets die in blaze

29 Sep

September 27, 2014 9:12 pm

GANSEVOORT — Fire investigators were still on the scene late Saturday following a fire that destroyed a home and killed three pets.

Gansevoort Assistant Fire Chief Keith Burch said the call came in at about 5 p.m. from passers-by for a structure fire at 246 Austin Road. No one was believed to be in the residence at the time of the call.

Burch said the one-story home was fully engulfed by the time firefighters arrived.

Though the investigation was not complete, Burch said a faulty appliance was suspected as the cause.

No personal injuries were reported and the home was insured. Mutual aid was provided by Wilton, South Glens Falls and Schuylerville fire departments. Victory Mills Fire Department assisted in establishing a fill site.

Copyright 2014 Glens Falls Post-Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Is there a fire in You?

1 Jul

Come visit Tuesday nights.

Congrats Grads!

1 Jul

Congratulations to all of the High School grads! Have a safe graduation season, and a great summer!